Cooperation between Benin and Sweden takes place mainly within the framework of multilateral institutions, in the absence of a formal framework for cooperation at bilateral level. This is due to the fact that the Swedish development assistance is oriented long towards Southern and Eastern African countries, certainly because of language facilities.
Nevertheless, some actions have been recorded as follows:
-The International training programme organized every year by the Swedish International Development Agency (SIDA), especially in the following areas:
- negotiating trade agreements;
- maritime administration;
- sustainable forest management and forest certification;
- management of air pollution; and
- reproductive health;
– training by the Swedish Armed Forces International Centre (SWEDINT) for the military, the police, prison services and civilians, in support of peace operations led UN, NATO, the EU or other regional organizations. Benin is constantly invited to these courses by SWEDINT; both uniformed officers and civil servants participate to these courses;
– training in the maritime sector by the World Maritime University in Malmö with the opportunity for nationals of UN member countries to get scholarships. In this context, the Benin competent departments in maritime matters frequently enroll their employees in this famous University, in order to benefit from their technological capacity-building courses in the maritime field.