Cooperation with Finland is growing and consolidating steadily, with political contacts at the highest level and commitment by Finnish companies to invest in the Beninese market. This growth stems from official visits respectively by the President of the Republic of Finland to Benin in 2009 and by His Excellency Dr. Boni Yayi, President of the Republic of Benin, to Helsinki in 2010.
ACHIEVEMENTS OF THE COOPERATION WITH FINLAND
- Signing of an Agreement on the financial contribution of Finland in the amount of four hundred thousand (400,000) EUR for the design of the Permanent Computerized Electoral List (LEPI);
- Organization of a business meeting with the businessmen from Finland who were very interested in investing in Benin. This is particularly true of Companies such as Navielektro (Maritime Safety), Wärtsilä (Energy), NAPS (Solar energy) Aventura (Tourism), Olympia (Tourism), MTK (Agriculture), some of which are considering making a business trip to Benin;
- The Consultative Group on International Agricultural Research (CGIAR) has contributed 10 million Euros (2011-2014) to improve food security in West Africa through cooperation in research and education;
- The Water and Sanitation Program funded by the World Bank up to 3 million Euros (2009-2011) for the reduction of poverty through access to water and sanitation services;
- Preventing conflicts through ECOSAP Programme on light weapons with 750,000 Euros (2006-2010) in an effort to strengthen the capacity of ECOWAS member States to fight against the trafficking of small arms;
- Conflict prevention through the West Africa Network for Peacebuilding (WANEP) with 800,000 Euros (2007-2010) in support of prevention and crisis management efforts;
- Mediation Capacity Building for the African Union funded with 2.9 million Euros (2009-2011);
With regard to decentralized cooperation, Finland has financed Villa KARO in Grand-Popo, Benin, which works since then for the promotion of Beninese culture in Finland and to attract Finnish tourists to Benin.